Friday, August 15, 2008

Spinach and Strawberry Salad

Okay, so this recipe has been one of my better finds lately! I have made it a few times and every time it's a big hit...even with the kids. And when I make salads for dinner, Kris usually says "You do know that we aren't rabbits, right Alexis?". He actually requested that I make it for our starving soldiers tonight (aka the single guys in his squad). So, here it is. What a wonderful summer dish. I am trying to find anything that doesn't require me to turn on the oven!!! We've grilled or had salad every night this week:) Enjoy!

Dressing:
6 strawberries, hulled
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
2 T red onion, minced
1/2 cup oil
2T poppy seeds (opt)

Blend first four ingredients in blender. Slowly drizzle oil in to emulsify (is that the right word? it will thicken:)). Then stir in poppy seeds and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Salad:
2 bags spinach (cut and pre washed)
10-12 strawberries, sliced
1/2 cup almonds sliced/slivered or macadamia nuts
1/2 red onion, sliced (opt)

Combine salad and dress just before serving, it will wilt and become soggy otherwise! I don't use all the dressing...usually about half is all it takes, I just save the rest and use it another time.

2 comments:

sheriuta said...

This sounds so yummy. I can't wait to try it out.

And if anyone else has great summer recipes that require no oven, please post. I could really use some fresh ideas!

Alexis said...

We grilled a london broil on Sunday for dinner. I cubed some red potatoes and drizzled with a little e.v.o.o. and some random seasonings and put them in foil and threw them on the grill. I also chopped some red, yellow and orange peppers and some onion and did the same thing...And we did corn on the cob on the grill...I like it because I do the prep, Kris does the cooking, and like I said it doesn't heat up the house! And it's great to enjoy the fresh veggies while they're good!