This is the best! I love, love, love it! Tonight is Kris' last meal for 3 weeks and he requested it! Being the meat lover that he is, it's refreshing to have him want a veggie dish:) It's a Paula Deen classic, so enjoy!
Squash Casserole
6 cups large diced yellow squash and zucchini
2 T vegetable oil
1 lg. onion, chopped
4 T butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1 t house seasoning (recipe follows)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup crushed ritz crackers
Preheat oven to 350. Saute the squash in oil over medium heat until it has broken down, about 15-20 minutes. Line a colander with a clean tea towel. Place cooked squash in lined colander. Squeeze excess moisture from squash. Set aside. In medium skillet saute the onion in butter for 5 min. Remove from pan and mix all ingredients but the ritz. Place in casserole dish and top with crackers. Bake 25-30 min.
House Seasoning
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 garlic powder
This seasoning will stay fresh in a sealed container for up to six months. I use it on all kinds of meats, and it works great in any dish just as a general seasoning!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I want to make this dish but I am kind of confused about how to squeeze the excess moisture from the squash. Please explain to those of us who have never lined a colander before!!:)
Okay so you are not the first to ask:) A tea cloth is one of those thin dish clothes...like really thin. You just put in inside your colander, put the squash in and cover with the rest of the towel. Then you squish the squash and the towel helps soak in the juice without breaking up the squash. You want the squash in big pieces for the best flavor/texture...make sense?? Let me know how it goes.
I made this squash dish and LOVED it. Joe and I both ate it up but I was surprised that my kids didn't like it. Ray actually pushed the crackers off and just ate the casserole part but Ruby and Solomon were NOT impressed. I will keep making it though and see if they eventually like it. I REALLY liked it. Funny thing though..after all that worrying about the Tea cloth...I totally forgot to use it! someone rang the door bell right when I was going to set the colander up and when I got back I just dumped the squash in and started mixing it with the sour cream mixture! I realized right away but it was too late. It didn't make a big difference though because I think I had over cooked the squash and there wasn't much liquid in it! But it turned out great! Thanks for the recipe!
Post a Comment